The viaduct is one of only two in the country of this type of construction. Built in 1874 for the London and South Western Railway main line between Waterloo and Plymouth, it was widened to double track in 1879.
The route passes a number of spoil heaps, most of which came from a quarry which extracted limestone. Nearby are remains of another quarry which extracted granulite, used for roadstone.
This walk affords fantastic views over the outcrops of Yes Tor and High Willhayes, and futher on Sourton Tors. Behind Sourton Tors was the Victorian experiment of the Sourton Ice Works, a series of artificial ponds to collect ice in winter for use by the Plymouth fish merchants. The scheme only lasted from 1875 to 1886 because of ice melting en route.