The first record of a settlement in Hope Cove dates back to 1281. In later years it became known for both fishing and smuggling.
As the route rises out of the village, you will see the distinctive shape of the tower of Galmpton Church ahead. Views down the coast open up, Burgh Island is especially clear with Stoke Point and the Mew Stone off Wembury in the distance.
Bolberry is an old settlement, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Boltesberia. It seems to get its name from ‘the Bolt’, the name given by the Saxons to the stretch of land still distinguished by the two headlands of Bolt Head and Bolt Tail today. At the top of the steep hill in Bolberry is the Port Light Inn, originally the club house of a pre-war golf club. Later it became part of a World War II RAF radio station. There are still radio masts here, now part of a navigational signal system.
Bolt Tail is the site of a late Iron Age cliff ‘castle’, where the prominent peninsular was fortified by a rampart built to defend it from the landward side.